Friday, May 20, 2011

First Post: What Not To Wear To The Start Of A Marathon

I've seen it a million times. Especially at marathons like Boston, New York and even Wineglass. People show up to the start of a marathon hours before the start dressed in their race gear and nothing else.

Usually, it's cold and windy at the start. So, they shiver their race away before they even take one step during the race. Always feel bad for those people, since I already can tell they'll have a horrible race.

So today's tip. Invest a dollar or so at Goodwill and buy some old sweats and sweatshirts to keep warm at the start. Or even use some old work clothes you've got lying around the house. You'll have a better race, and you won't shiver to death. Toss the clothes right before the start. They'll probably be donated.

I wish I had a cool picture of a shivering runners, but unfortunately I do not.

3 comments:

  1. Hi, just found your blog through a post you left on Runner's World forum where you say "Actually I know the best kept secret to any marathons hotel and I ain't tellin! ;)"

    Would LOVE to know your secret as I am doing NYC for the FIRST time this coming November (woo hoo). My husband will be running his second NYC and any hotel info would be much much appreciated. We are ex-NYers and somehow don't have any friends with apartments large enough to let us crash. My email is eeeema@aol.com. Thanks in advance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, forgot to comment on your actual post - great advice - NYC probably has one of the longest wait times til the start and thrift shop "disposable" clothing is very important!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The secret to finding good hotel rates for these megathons is too book way, way, way, way, way in advance. Sometimes even before the previous years race. That is how you can get the cheap rates...

    ReplyDelete